The Clinical School has had Equality Champions in every department since 2011. The Equality Champions have been instrumental in increasing awareness of the School’s Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Programme by promoting Athena SWAN and Equality, Diversity and Inclusion matters throughout the school. Without the tireless work of the Equality Champions the Clinical School would not be the proud holder of an Athena SWAN silver award!
The Equality Champions Network is an active community of individuals who are committed to promoting good practice, improving wellbeing and ensuring a better working environment for all. We meet once a term to support one another and share experiences.
If you would like to become an Equality Champion please contact the Equality and Diversity Coordinator at email@example.com. More information about the role can be found below.
The Schools Equality Champions:
Cancer Research UK CI: Madhu Basetti, Cara Brodie, Jason Carroll, Joana Coelho, Rebecca Holmes, Florian Markowetz, Stefanie Reichelt, Shalini Rao, Frances Richards and Kelly Saunders
CIMR: Jenny Hirst, Maria Shamin, Jane Stinchcombe, Michael Weekes and Charlotte Yelton
Clinical Biochemistry: Maria Adams, Miguel Constancia, Arianna Psichas, Jane Sugars and James Warner
Clinical Neurosciences & Neurology: Gavin Brown, Amanda Barber, Keri Carpenter, Susan Giorgi-Coll, Joanne Jones, Monica Killen, Nisha Kuzhuppilly-Ramakrishnan, Shannon Tinley-Browne, Stephen Sawcer and Selena Milicevic-Sephton
Haematology: Joanne Baxter, Ana Cvejic and Brian Huntly
Medical Genetics: Michaela Boak and Mae Goldgraben
Medicine: Marta Baldrighi, Gemma Basatemur, Sarah Chantler, Murray Clark, Samuel Franklin, Jane Goodall, Helle Jorgensen, Wei Li, Andrew Lever, Carmel McEniery, Nicola Owen, Andrew Savage and Paul Upton
MRC Biostatistics Unit: Alessandra Cabassi, Paul Kirk, Paul Newcombe, Angela Talbot and Sofia Villar
MRC Cognition and Brain Sciences Unit: Clare Cook, Darren Dunning, Tina Emery, Shraddha Kaur, Georgie Morrill, Emily Plater, Susanne Schweizer and Victoria White
MRC Cancer Unit: Anasuya Chattopadhyay, Maria Dasseville and Philippa Gebrekiros
MRC Epidemiology Unit: Nichola Dalzell, Justin Guagliano, Sonja Klingberg, Luca Lotta and David Vaughan
MRC Mitochondrial Biology Unit: Merlin Hartley, Lindsey van Haute, Caterina Garone, Tom Gleeson
Obstetrics and Gynaecology: Francesca Gaccioli and Ulla Sovio
Oncology: Alison Dunning and Charlie Massie
Paediatrics: Kathryn Beardsall, Loredana Marcovecchio and Mark Wilson
Psychiatry: Michele Atiemo, Marcella Montagnese, Sinead Moylett and Lisa Ronan
Public Health and Primary Care/Institute of Public Health: Robbie Duschinsky, Julie Jenkins, Lucy Lloyd, Emma Marron and Karen Pooley
Radiology: James Grist and Frank Riemer
School Office: Antonia Ciurea, Gail Davis, Stephanie Disney, Maria Hopwood and Vicky Smallbone
Surgery: Wasim Khan and Jacqueline Siu
The Role of the Equality Champion
The role of the Clinical School’s Equality Champions is to actively champion and increase the visibility of the School’s commitment to Diversity, Inclusion and Wellbeing, and to promote good practice by:
- Facilitating increased awareness of Diversity and Inclusion, Athena SWAN and the Wellbeing Programme within the school by dissemination of information from the Equality and Diversity Coordinator and Athena SWAN Governance Group
- Providing updates about departmental activities and sharing best practice by attending at least two out of three termly Equality Champions meetings each year, and by filling in the School’s Departmental Activities Spreadsheet
- Providing a point of contact for others within the department, especially new starters
- Providing a link between the Athena SWAN Governance Group and the staff within the department
- Increasing awareness of working culture issues by ensuring Equality, Diversity and Inclusion is a standing agenda item at departmental meetings and awaydays, and providing updates relating to the various programmes
- Encouraging and widening participation in the school’s initiatives, including staff survey, appraisal and E&D training initiatives
- Advocating for Diversity, Inclusion and Wellbeing matters within the University and externally.
- Ensuring innovative ideas for improving wellbeing and working life are heard by the School. At some point you might wish to consider joining the Athena SWAN Governance Group and steering the School to improve the working environment for all.